A Glimpse of Twenty Five Years (1981-2006) of the
Maharishi Purusha Program in the United States
The history of the Maharishi Purusha Program tells the story of infinite dynamism eternally awake in the perfect silence of pure knowledge. Responding to the need of the time, PurushaSM program has cultured deep silence, gained and applied new knowledge, and plunged into dynamic action while always focused on purifying world consciousness and assisting Maharishi in his global undertaking to create Heaven on Earth. Our greatest accomplishments have been the growth of higher states of consciousness in our individual lives and the rise of world consciousness resulting from our 24-hour bliss program. There have been many other steps of great achievement as well.
The first five years of the Purusha program were dynamic, as we launched new initiatives to bring pure knowledge to every area of society in every part of the world. In Fairfield Iowa, Purusha program formed the core of the U.S. national Super Radiance community, and in Washington, D.C., a second large Purusha group contributed a powerful influence of coherence in our nation's capital. During this time, members of Purusha program:
- Established and administered Maharishi Vedic University in Washington, while organizing hundreds of presentations and conferences for U.S. and international leaders.
- Acquired MBA degrees at Maharishi International University, gaining knowledge of ideal administration.
- Spent two months with Maharishi at the MIU College of Natural Law.
- Participated in the historic Taste of Utopia 7000 Assembly.
- Traveled to over 90 countries and all 50 states of the U.S. during the "Global March" campaign, informing world leaders of a great breakthrough in Scientific knowledge--the Global Maharishi Effect created by the Taste of Utopia Assembly.
- Organized, directed, and operated Age of Enlightenment Press and Video Productions.
- Arranged thousands of TV, radio, newspaper, and magazine reports on Maharishi's Vedic Science and Technology of Consciousness.
- Taught Transcendental Meditation to tens of thousands of people in the Philippines, Taiwan, and Sri Lanka.
- Helped establish Maharishi Ayur-Ved in America by organizing medical conferences, presentations to government leaders, and national tours by Dr. B. D. Triguna and other eminent Maharishi Ayur-Ved physicians; producing publications on Scientific research and clinical applications; and arranging extensive media coverage.
- Wrote and published several books on Maharishi's knowledge, including Life Supported by Natural Law, Maharishi Vedic University: Inauguration, and Maharishi International University-Academic Exchange with the Universities of China.
- Designed and implemented the Maharishi Corporate Development Program, bringing the knowledge of Natural Law to America's business leaders.
- Spent four months with Maharishi in India, enriching our experience and understanding of the Unified Field of Natural Law, the Ved.
In our second five years, Purusha program retired to the silent forests and gentle mountains of Livingston Manor, New York, where we dove deep into the ocean of silence. Maharishi's program for Purusha program included extended practice of the TM-Sidhi program, Vedic studies, and "recreation" in which we continued to pursue activities begun in previous years, such as contacting the media about Maharishi's programs and operating Age of Enlightenment Press and Video Productions, as well as new initiatives inspired by Maharishi. During this time, members of Purusha:
- Helped make Maharishi Ayur-Ved a household word in America.
- Worked with Maharishi and Dr. Doug Henning in Holland to develop Maharishi Vedaland.
- Coordinated hundreds of Maharishi Gandharva Ved concerts in the U.S.
- Helped introduce and promote Maharishi Sthapatya Ved, the science of building in accord with Natural Law.
- Continued to inspire Maharishi's whole world movement with new publications, including the popular book Transcendental Meditation and volumes recording the first worldwide Yogic Flying demonstrations, Maharishi's Festival of Music for World Peace, and Maharishi's Global Campaign to Create a Disease-Free Society.
- Compiled a complete history of Maharishi's movement as seen by the world press--over 25,000 pages of news reports documenting Maharishi's global achievements since 1957.
During two years in Fairfield Iowa, Purusha program continued to focus on the development of consciousness. Individuals from the Purusha program also:
- Created coherence in collective consciousness in England.
- Participated in Maharishi's Group for a Government Global Demonstration Project in Washington, D.C.
- Helped organize the nationwide acquisition of buildings for the new Maharishi Vedic Universities and Maharishi Ayur-Veda Universities.
- Began land acquisition and planning for The Maharishi Spiritual Center of America.
These were tremendous years of growth, accomplishment, and spiritual development for Purusha:
- Purusha program participated in the National Service Project, which established Maharishi Vedic Universities in many of the largest cities in the United States.
- Purusha were active teaching programs of Maharishi Vedic Science abroad, especially in India, where they played a key role in setting up and teaching at the Maharishi Institutes of Management--fully accreditated schools offering MBA degrees.
- Purusha has been involved in a number of special teaching projects in India, which resulted in tens of thousands of people learning the Transcendental Meditation technique.
- Purusha participated in a project which helped established Maharishi Vedic Universities throughout the state of Madhya Pradesh in India.
- Purusha Publications created dozens of beautiful full color publications on many profound topics of Maharishi Vedic Science and Maharishi's technologies for the development of consciousness for all area of society. The publishing group were also active in the creation of web pages for the Internet so that all of Maharishi's profound programs to enlighten every area of life could be easily accessible to anyone through the World Wide Web.
- 48 Purusha members were appointed as Time Zone Administrators for Maharishi Global Administration through Natural Law in 12 time zones from New Zealand to Hawaii.
- Starting in 1999, Purusha expanded its wholeness when several groups relocated to facilities in the region of Uttar Kashi in the Himalayas of India, where Maharishi lived after his time with Guru Dev, and where he received the impulse to bring the blessings of Guru Dev’s teachings to the world. There Purusha have been delving deep into silence to unfold the most profound levels of consciousness.
- In 2001 Maharishi set Purusha on a still more inward program. Many of the administrative activities we had been performing over the years were relegated to other branches of the movement so that our awareness could be more fully focused on the silent field of life. This has resulted in many reports of deeper experiences and greater bliss and integration of consciousness.
- In July of 2005 Purusha spent a month with Maharishi and the leaders of his worldwide movement in MERU, Holland. There Maharishi expressed his desire to have Purusha permanently in his environment to take advantage of the strengthening influence of our collective practice on the atmosphere.
January 2006 has given rise to a time of change for Purusha. After nine years in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, we are once more on the move. But our fundamental profession will remain the same no matter where we are—to open our awareness to the finest fabrics of consciousness through our long programs and ideal routine of life, thereby hastening the growth of Enlightenment for ourselves and the entire world.